Wednesday 3 September 2014

Costume Maintenance 101

Costumes are important. They are such an investment, almost like collecting artwork. Every dancer remembers buying their first proper costume, tracing their fingers over the beadwork, running their hands through the fringing, the sparkling of the crystals, and sequined designs glittering away in a multitude of colours. You always treasure that first costume that makes you feel like a princess, and when you put it on to perform, you feel transformed into a belly dance goddess.

So after spending so much money on your precious, glittery babies, I thought I would give you some top tips on how to protect your precious cargo in between performances, and how to maintain their glamour so you can wear them with pride for many years to come!

  • Sequins can lose colour when they come into contact with perfumes, deodrants and glitter sprays. I reccomend applying all these things before putting on your beautiful costume, to ensure you are not spraying anything directly onto sequins and gemstones. This will stop them from tarnishing or losing colour, and keep them shining for longer!
  • After every performance, check your clasps! As soon as you get home from your performance, check the strength of each clasp and make a note of what might need restitching before your next show! This means that you are actively keeping on top of any wear and tear, aswell as preventing any costume mishaps in the future!
  • After purchasing a new costume, I like to check the beadwork, rhinestones and fringing carefully. Sometimes costumes can have loose threads that can result in beads dissappearing or bits of fringing coming loose. These things are very easy to rectify, if they are caught in time! Make sure to check your costume when first purchased, and then after big performances to make sure nothing has caught or come loose. With fringing, you can paint a little bit of clear nail polish at the end of each strand which will secure any knots and prevent unravelling!
  • Air out your costume after each wear. I don't often "wash" my costumes due to the fact they are so delicate, an airing is normally good enough! However if something is in dire need of a clean, I will gently hand wash in cold water in my bath with a little bit of baby shampoo. Cold water because it prevents colors running, and baby shampoo as it is usually unfragranced, and very very gentle! I then gently press out any extra moisture into a towel, and dry flat. DO NOT TUMBLE DRY OR MACHINE WASH COSTUMES.
  • I like to store my costumes in laundry bags or zip up fabric bags. I try to keep any delicate fabrics away from bedlahs or very ornate costumes to prevent any runs or snags. I also keep some silica gel packets in the boxes I keep my costumes in as it prevents any moisture from getting to the costumes!
  • Last but not least, if your costume is very heavy with a lot of beading, store folded and flat, do not hang. Purely because (especially with cabaret dresses) the beading is so heavy it causes the fabric to stretch! And you don't want a misshapen costume! The same goes (Suprisingly) for circle skirts, as some fabric likes to "grow" and so hems can become uneven over time! I tend to store my circle skirts, rolled up, rather than hung.
I hope this has helped you with any costume questions you may have! If you have any other top tips on how to look after your costumes, let me know in the comments! I'd love to hear!

Final Note for the Day:

When buying a costume, don't rush. Take your time. Think about where you might wear it, what pieces you might dance in it. Don't be persuaded by the sequins alone. (And I know it's hard, as they are very persuasive!) Remember, you need a costume that you will want to wear again and again, and like the little black dress, is timeless.

If you want to use this post in your e-zine, blog or newsletter, please go ahead! But make sure that you credit Louise Brooks - www.louisebellydancer.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Great article, I've learnt so much! I never knew you shouldn't hang circle skirts, off to reorganise my wardrobe. I've learnt about checking clasps for security the hard way... x x x

    ReplyDelete